The CMES is mourning the loss of our affiliated faculty member Saba Mahmood, a professor of Sociocultural Anthropology, who passed away on Saturday, March 10, 2018. A highly influential scholar of the relationship between religious and secular politics in postcolonial societies, sovereignty, subject formation, law, and gender/sexuality, Professor Mahmood was a vibrant and invaluable colleague, mentor, and teacher. Most recently, she was working on questions of political violence and survival, with a focus on Sunni-Shia relations in South Asia and the Middle East. We will post any information on campus memorial activities as we receive it.
- Read the Department of Anthropology's obituary for Professor Mahmood here.
- Arabic version of Department of Anthropology's obituary.
- Read the announcement from Public Affairs here.
- Read remarks from her former colleagues and students in The Daily Cal.
- A message from the Department of Anthropology: For those wishing to make gifts in Saba’s memory, she expressed a desire for a fund in her name to support graduate study. Any gifts to the Anthropology department should clearly mark that they are made in memory of Saba Mahmood, and they will be used according to her stated desires. http://bit.ly/2F4QR2v