Visiting Scholar Program
The CMES hosts a small number of Visiting Scholars from other academic institutions for appointments ranging from 3 to 12 months. Visiting Scholar affiliations with the CMES are available on a restricted basis and subject to review by the CMES Chair. Successful applicants are given affiliation, library privileges and, when possible, shared office space. They are encouraged to attend CMES events whenever possible, and to meet with students and faculty to discuss their area of expertise.
Visiting Scholars must:
- Possess a Ph.D. or foreign equivalent conferred more than five years ago OR possess a Ph.D. or foreign equivalent conferred less than five years ago but currently hold a professional tenure-track position, e.g., Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor.
- Pursue a program of research which is of mutual interest to and endorsed by the CMES.
- Propose a visit of at least one month in duration.
- Submit application materials at least 6 months before the beginning of the planned appointment.
- International Visiting Scholars must also:
- Demonstrate proficiency in English (visit the VSPA website for more information on English language proficiency requirements).
- Have their own source of funding, such as a sabbatical salary or grant or fellowship (see details below).
- Provide evidence that they will cover their own health insurance (see details below).
- Visiting Scholar affiliation is granted for periods of one semester to one year (exceptions for one- or two-month appointments may be granted).
- Extensions beyond one year are considered on a case-by-case basis and are not automatic.
- Extensions must be requested in writing at least three months prior to the end of the current appointment.
- CMES expects that Visiting Scholars will contribute to the intellectual life of the Center by attending lectures and conferences and interacting with faculty and students to discuss their area of expertise.
- All Visiting Scholars are expected to give a public lecture during their stay.
- No other position, including paid or unpaid positions in other UC Berkeley departments, can be held at the same time without approval from the CMES Chair.
Visiting Scholars are responsible for paying the following fees :
- $750 per year VSPA University Services Fee. All visiting scholars must pay this fee directly to VSPA within 3 days of the appointment start date, in order to be in compliance with VSPA affiliation requirements and to gain access to university services such as library access, ID card, and a Berkeley email account.
- $1,000 per semester CMES Visiting Scholar Administrative Fee. This fee covers the administrative costs of your appointment as a visiting scholar at CMES. It also entitles you to certain privileges and services at CMES for the duration of your appointment (including shared office space depending on availability on your date of arrival). It is paid via wire transfer or check payable to “UC Regents” at CMES.
- $500 DS-2019 fee. This fee applies to international visiting scholars only and is not required for U.S. citizens or permanent residents. This fee is for the Berkeley International Office (BIO), which produces the DS-2019 form required to obtain the J-1 visa. It is paid via wire transfer or check payable to “UC Regents” at CMES.
For questions regarding fee payments, please contact CMES Administrative Associate Neil Gali, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Financial Support & Health Insurance:
- CMES does not provide financial support for visiting scholars.
- The University of California requires international scholars to provide proof of financial support (at least $1,600.00 per month of the proposed stay). Additional funds are required if the scholar plans to bring family members ($500.00 per month for spouse, and $200.00 per month, per child). Funding may come from the scholar’s home institution, fellowships or grants, Fulbright awards, or personal funds.
- All international Visiting Scholars on the UC Berkeley campus are required to have health insurance for themselves and all accompanying dependents. Details can be found at the Visiting Scholar and Postdoc Affairs (VSPA) Office.
Living in Berkeley:
- Visiting Scholars may visit the Berkeley International Office for more information on housing, healthcare, transportation, family resources, and other orientation matters. Scholars are responsible for securing their own housing accommodations.
The CMES accepts applications from Visiting Scholars on an annual basis, with a review date of January 15 for appointments in the next Academic Year. Applications after that date will be considered on a rolling basis, space permitting. To apply, please submit, as a single document, the following:
- A cover letter addressed to the CMES Chair indicating interest, the specific dates of the proposed appointment, and the anticipated funding.
- A one-page abstract briefly describing research proposed.
- A one-page title and abstract of planned public lecture.
- A curriculum vitae with degrees, work experience and publications.
Proposals should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line “Visiting Scholar Application.” Visiting Scholars will be notified of preliminary acceptance by e-mail by March 1. If accepted by CMES, paperwork and processing by the University can take between one and four months, depending on residence and visa status. Acceptance is not final until approved by the Visiting Scholar and Postdoc Affairs (VSPA) Office.